Tips to Improve Your Property ValueMarch 10, 2020
How Do You Paint the Exterior of Your Garage Door?April 14, 2020
Your paint can form bubbles anytime, even after the paint has dried. If you want to avoid having paint bubbles, there are steps you can take to prevent it from happening. You need to understand what causes this problem as well as what you can do to prevent it.
What Causes Paint to Bubble or Blister?
Paint bubbles are created when the paint is lifted from a surface. This is caused by moisture or heat coming into contact with the paint. The paint will bubble and then peel, and you need to solve the cause of the problem before you repaint, or it will happen again.
There are several factors that cause the paint to bubble:
- Paint will bubble when you have a damp, hot, or dirty surface.
- Paint bubbles when you cover latex paint with oil-based paint or alkyd paint.
- Paint can bubble from poor surface protection.
- Paint can bubble from too much moisture.
- Latex paint can bubble when it is exposed to moisture right after the paint has dried.
How Can You Prevent Paint From Bubbling?
You can prevent paint from bubbling by taking precautions before you paint. You need to prepare the surface ahead of time to ensure that your paint job will stay fresh and neat for many years. Make sure that you do the following:
- Clean and dry the surface before you paint.
- Use primer on the surface before you paint it.
- Use latex primer on joint compounds.
- Do not paint in hot or humid conditions.
- Do not expose the surface to moisture before the paint is completely dry.
- If it is humid, use an exhaust fan.
Is it Possible to Fix Paint Bubbles?
When your paint is bubbling, you can fix it. It’s going to take some work, but it can be done. You need to start by removing the paint bubble. Then, you can sand and scrape the area until it is smooth. Once the surface is smooth, you should apply primer to it. This will prepare the surface to hold the paint. After you have applied the primer, you can paint the surface with high-quality latex paint.
If there is moisture on the surface, you will need to take extra steps to remove the moisture. You can use a high-powered fan to dry it out. You should also try to lower the humidity in the house. You can do this by turning on the air conditioning or using exhaust fans.
It can be disconcerting to notice that your paint is bubbling, but you can fix it by eliminating the source that is causing it to bubble. If you want to prevent the paint from bubbling in the first place, you can take steps to make that happen.
Make sure that you paint on dry, clean surfaces, and sand surfaces to make them smooth before you paint. If you take the proper steps to prepare your surface correctly, your paint job should last a long time.